Sunday, September 09, 2012

1st Port: Malaga

After two sea days cruising from Southampton past France, across the Bay of Biscay, down the coast of Portugal and into the Mediterranean, our first port of call was Malaga. 


WiFi was available on the ship but was very expensive (50 pence a minute!) so we left the older girls in McDonalds to use their free WiFi for a while and walked up to the square by the cathedral where a flamenco band was playing.


We only had the morning in port so decided to see the town by taking a horse and carriage tour. There was a kind of equine taxi rank outside the cathedral.


I have no idea what this building was, but I liked the picture ... Aha! Looking at Wikipedia I think it may be the Palacio de la Aduana, the Fine Arts and Archaeology Museum.


The 11th century Moorish fortress, the Alcazaba.


The bull ring. A very impressive structure, though I can't get my head round the concept of bullfighting as entertainment. Neither could Rose when we tried to explain it to her.


The view from our carriage down a tree shaded avenue.


3 comments:

Missus Wookie said...

I've never understood bullfighting as entertainment either. 50p a minute for wifi? ouch!

Looks pretty tho'.

Pamela said...

Don't you love Wikipedia and Google? I'm scrapbooking my husband's 2006-2007 deployment and do you think he could remember any of the sites he visited? "Castles in Naples" on a Google search took me right to the one I was looking for, and Wikipedia gave me all its details!

Hummus Recipes said...

Thanks for a great rread