Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Corner View: Typical Souvenir

This week's subject is "a typical souvenir of your city", which is a tricky one. Our medium sized market town doesn't do souvenirs, unless you count the handful of postcards available at the library. It isn't famous for anything in particular, and doesn't have any major tourist attractions ... but after a little thought I found two souvenirs for you.

(1) The Borrowers by Mary Norton, written in and based on a house in the town (now a middle school)



(2) Some traditional canal art ... the Grand Union Canal runs through the town, and there is an annual canal festival in August.



Visit Spain Daily for more corner views. Next week's topic: love.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like canal art on brightly coloured canal barges.

Lisa notes... said...

I've never heard of canal art. Nice to see what it is! Beautiful.

adrienne said...

but, where are you?

The Bookworm said...

Adrienne, I'm in Bedfordshire, England. I though it was in my sidebar, but it seems to have disappeared!

;) said...

Pretty and original "souvenirs" ! A discovery for me !!!

la ninja said...

the least known ones are generally the best surprises (and pose a much greater challenge to you lot than to those of us living in big cities so thanks a lot for these two.) :)

likeschocolate said...

I loved that book as a child.

Kari said...

love the color of the art work.

Jeannette said...

I would love to go to the canal festival....sounds great.
Have a great weekend!