Thursday, August 31, 2006

Next Year: Daily Routine

After trying to get into some sort of routine at regular intervals over the last six months or so, and failing equally regularly, this one (or something similar) has to stick! I'm motivated. I'm determined. I'm going to pull out every ounce of self-discipline I possess ...

7.00-7.30 Coffee / quiet time
7.30-8.00 Shower and dress / make breakfast
8.00-9.00 Breakfast / dress, make beds and tidy rooms (girls) / prepare for day, do a couple of chores from Motivated Moms list, dress Little Cherub (me)
9.00-10.30 Morning prayers / schoolwork (Mass / library on Tuesdays)
10.30-11.00 Snack break
11.00-12.30 Schoolwork (not Thursdays)
12.30-2.00 Lunch / free time
2.00-3.30 Schoolwork (not Thursdays)
3.30-4.00 Tea time / clear up
4.00-6.00 Free time or after school activities (girls) / computer time, more chores from list, make dinner (me)
6.00-6.30 Dinner (Angel has late dance classes on Monday and Thursday so will eat after the rest of us)
6.30 onwards Free time / activities / bed (Star usually goes at 8.15, Angel at 9)

Angel and Star have a fairly hectic late afternoon and evening schedule with dance classes, brass band and Brownies (Star). Fortunately the dance school is only ten minutes walk away (or a two minute drive) and Angel takes herself to her afternoon classes. We also lift share with a friend for brass band rehearsals and Star's Brownies (Girl Scouts for seven to ten year olds) is just round the corner, so transporting kids to and from classes is not too onerous.

How well this routine will work with Little Cherub in the mix, I'm not sure! I'm kind of hoping that I will be able to get her into a routine of having naps at 9 and 2. If she decides that isn't in her plan, then she will probably spend much of the day in a sling. The schools here start back for the year next Tuesday, so I'm planning a test run with a light schedule next week. We will be away for two weeks after that and will start our school year for real on September 25th.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is a great schedule!! Can you hear me laughing? Okay, I'll be praying for your sucess too!

KS

The Bookworm said...

What worries me is that now when I announce a new schedule, my children laugh! And I used to be good at sticking to a schedule :(.

Anonymous said...

Oh Kathryn the other day when I posted our new schedule I overheard my 11 yo say to the 7 yo, "Don't worry, this won't last a week!"

It is very, very hard to regain credibility, isn't it?

Blessings,

Faith