Thursday, December 22, 2005

Pregnancy Milestones

Yesterday I had my first obstetrician's appointment, at 14 weeks. Here in the UK most routine antenatal care is provided by community midwives, but due to "advanced maternal age" (45) I've been put into the consultant care system where I see an obstetrician at the hospital as well as my local midwife. I had a suspicion I was going to be pressured over my refusal to have testing for Downs Syndrome, but beyond warning me of my "high risk" the doctor didn't pursue that one. He launched into what sounded like the beginning of a long list of potential problems for older mothers - higher risk of high blood pressure, higher risk of kidney problems (due to high blood pressure) ... and then fizzled out and admitted there wasn't anything else significant to worry about! As my blood pressure is good, and I've never previously had a problem with it, I'm not going to waste time worrying about that one unless it arises. After that he checked me over and I got to hear the baby's heartbeat for the first time :-). I've already seen it on a scan, but it's reassuring to know all is still well. I'm appreciating the miracle that is pregnancy more this time around, partly because I'm older and wiser(?), but mainly because the very fact that I'm pregnant now seems such a miracle in itself.

I took advantage of being out alone to pass another pregancy milestone and buy maternity trousers and a top. I'm not large enough to need it yet, but clearly heading in that direction fast. My current wardrobe is reduced to two skirts that are beginning to get tight, and some trackpants I bought for the gym which I accidentally bought a size too large - fortunately as it turns out!

Onwards and outwards ...

1 comment:

Karen Edmisten said...

This really is lovely to read. What a blessed time to be with child. :-)

Karen E.